This The Pursuit of Democracy and Diversity: The Trial of Pro-Social Injustice in Historical Documents and Accounts lesson plan also includes:
Class members investigate The Indian Removal Act of 1830, U.S. Theft of Mexican Territory Timeline, and President Abraham Lincoln’s letter to Horace Greeley, 1862, and then conduct a mock trial of each of these documents to determine whether they represent a case of social justice or injustice. Teams base their arguments on the principles outlined in Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s "A Letter from Birmingham City Jail."
- Have speech and debate club members tutor class members on the mock trial format
- Requires access to the primary source documents
- The 13th in a series of 17 related resources
- The four-page packet includes an overview of the activity, a detailed plan of the mock trial format, a list of the required materials, and graphic organzers
- While web addresses are provided for the materials, no direct link is included