This The Road to Proportional Reasoning lesson plan also includes:
Just how big would it really be? Young mathematicians determine if different toys are proportional and if their scale is accurate. They solve problems relating scale along with volume and surface area using manipulatives. The last day of the lesson instructs the class to build scaled two-dimensional models of the planets.
- Provide a list to the pupils of the dimensions to measure on the toys
- To scale the solar system, use a map of the local area and determine where the individual planets would need to be placed to maintain the scale
- Day one requires at least 193 centimeter cubes assembled from paper
- The resource provides answer keys
- The teacher notes provide probing questions to ask the class to determine understanding