Encourage learners to think about the relationship between similar words. In the first part of the learning exercise, class members alter descriptions of characters in Frances Hodgson Burnett's novel The Secret Garden by coming up with synonyms. In the second part, pupils describe another person in class, rewriting their descriptions with synonyms.
- Easily split up into two quick exercises
- Asks learners to write out their work in complete sentences and come up with original adjectives
- Does not provide much scaffolding or define synonym
- Examples are only provided for the second section
- Exercises are relevant, but not particularly inventive