This The Separation Lab: Candy Colors lesson plan also includes:
There's no better motivator than candy! An engaging activity has pupils explore methods for separating mixtures. A two-part lab first explores methods of separation based on size and magnetism. The second activity introduces learners to chromatography as they separate the dyes in Skittles and M&M's.
- Use the concept questions to check for understanding
- Requires many specific materials for the lab activity
- Expects an understanding of chemical mixtures
- Uses common household items that are readily available
- Provides material for a prelab lecture