This The Sun Compass of the Vikings lesson plan also includes:
Evidence shows the Vikings likely navigated by using a simple sundial to find their course. Videos, a short story, and discussion help bring this time period to life as they study European history with a hands-on experiment. Scholars then build their own sundial using a gnomon.
- Discuss why a magnetic compass wouldn't have helped the Vikings
- Assumes prior knowledge of how to use latitude and longitude to define a position
- Activity must be completed outside on a clear day, and it lasts all day long
- Contains answers to all written questions as well as the discussion questions
- Includes cross-curricular connections to history, geography, culture, science, and math