This The Verification Steps lesson plan also includes:
Provenance, source, date, location, and motivation. High schoolers learn how to verify the authenticity of news stories and posts by following a seven-step process. They then use the strategy to determine the original site that posted a photo of Justin Timberlake and the Super Bowl "Selfie Kid." The interactive resource underscores the importance of verifying that a piece of content can be trusted.
- Create and display a "Verification Steps" poster in the classroom
- Eighth of 11 lessons in the Community Engagement series
- Requires copies of the "Verification Checklist"
- Learners need access to devices with an internet connection
- Includes a completed copy of the "Verification Checklist" for instructors