Many consider nuclear reactors to be big and scary, yet the first human-made nuclear reactor as described by this video was neither of these things. Built on a squash court in Chicago, the reactor was powerful enough to turn on a lamp. Moreover, the team of scientists and students did not all die of cancer and a few are still alive today.
- Read about ancient nuclear reactors in Africa https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ancient-nuclear-reactor/
- Research the dimensions of the squash court and the dimensions of the nuclear reactor
- Be aware that some comments may be considered inappropriate for the classroom and care should be taken to ensure they are not displayed when the video is shown
- Provides closed captioning for the hearing impaired
- Short video maintains viewers' attention