Why does music affect people so deeply? Explore how music impacts the human brain through a video from the American Chemical Society's Reactions series. The narrator discusses the anticipatory elements in different styles of music and studies the brain chemistry that changes with the beat.
- Work the resource into a unit on the brain or innate and learned behavior
- Have pupils pick their ultimate playlist, then think critically about similarities and differences in their favorite songs
- Briefly discuss the regions of the brain featured in the video before watching
- This resource is only available on an unencrypted HTTP website. It should be fine for general use, but don’t use it to share any personally identifiable information
- The subject matter has a wide range of appeal—and the narrator presents it in an engaging way
- Diagrams help viewers relate brain anatomy to different chemical reactions produced by music