What do Hawaii, Nigeria, and Peru have in common? Each of these locations, plus many others, get to see the subsolar point! But, what is it? A video from a comprehensive physics playlist puts the phenomenon at the forefront by explaining how the sun comes to be directly overhead, creating a shadowless landscape.
- Check out the unique statue in Honolulu created for the sole purpose of observing the subsolar point
- Feature the video in a lesson about seasons and Earth's tilt
- Individuals should be familiar with common geographical features such as the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn
- The video is impactful and features eerie images and interesting content
- Conveys scientific explanations concisely and in student-friendly terms