This Touchdown handout & reference also includes:
Individuals design and build a set of shock absorbers to protect their astronauts when they land. Using a limited amount of supplies, pupils build a system that will keep two large marshmallows from flying out of a cup when it lands after being dropped.
- Provide more materials and see if it is possible to protect the astronauts from higher drops
- To add more of a challenge, replace the marshmallow astronauts with an egg
- Some may want to use a parachute; remind them that the Moon does not have an atmosphere to allow a parachute to work
- This is part two of a six-part series.
- The resource contains a career connection
- The leader notes contain questions to ask to wrap up the activity
- There is no assessment to determine if pupils understand the concept