What types of questions help readers learn the most? Sixth, seventh, and eighth graders learn how to ask four types of questions from the Question Answer Response (QAR) reading strategy to help grow their comprehension of Touching Spirit Bear. The activity sheet describing the strategy uses examples from Lois Lowry's The Giver as a model, helping the class apply the strategy to their own text. This strategy, invaluable and adaptable to any text, is the fourth resource out of a series of five that is sure to develop healthy, long-term reading habits.
- Frame the lesson as a reader's workshop; first model the strategy together as a class, and then allow readers to continue individually during silent reading time
- Structure seating to avoid distraction and to encourage independent work
- The resource is a description of a reading strategy that enhances a lesson plan
- Activity encourages modeling allows for quicker mastery of skill
- The QAR Strategy is evidence based and successful in promoting critical thinking
- Picture on the first page of the resource does not allow viewer to see the text under Purpose of the Strategy