As an introduction to using a network to determine the fewest number of nodes that meet a given condition, small groups work together to determine the fewest number of ice cream vans, and their locations, to be able to serve the people of a town. The activity is the second in a three-part series.
- Use the activity to set up the the Kid Krypto Public-Key Encryption activity
- Have the class see if they can determine a strategy that will help solve the problem
- Needs two different-colored counters
- Provides the solution to the problem and how it was constructed
- Includes a reading passage that makes the connection to solving real-world type problems
- The explanation does get complicated and may prove difficult for pupils to understand