This Tracking Genetically Modified Mosquitoes activity & project also includes:
What's that buzzing in your ear? An insightful lesson about genetically modified mosquitoes! Partnered pupils explore the creation, release, and monitoring of mosquitoes designed to reduce the mosquito population. After watching a video, groups engage in experimental design to formulate ideas for keeping track of how effective the super bugs are in the areas they inhabit.
- If your class is new to experimental design, create some well-structured groups and allow a little extra time to get everyone on the same page
- Be sure to play the video at the beginning of the lesson, or possibly the day before
- Consider having the class read up on genetically modified organisms before beginning the activity
- Arrange for computer time if students use spreadsheets to organize their data
- The topic is fascinating and very timely
- All printable resources are organized in the teacher's guide