This Understanding Variation activity & project also includes:
Does where we live influence how our bodies express genetic traits? Explore variation in human skin color with an activity that incorporate video and hands-on learning. Individuals model the relationship between phenotypes and genotypes, then discover how genetic information helps scientists determine a person's ancestry.
- Make the activities the focal point of a polygenic traits lesson
- Have the class identify other polygenic traits, such as eye color, through a research project
- Show the video in class if pupils are not able to watch it for homework
- Students will need prior knowledge of Mendelian genetics and inherited traits
- Teacher's guide contains printable worksheets and an answer key to make grading simple
- The lesson is a great way to incorporate geography and culture into the science classroom