Why Lesson Planet?
As part of a study of colonial and Native American history, class members focus on the beliefs and land use of the Pocumtucks, who settled near Deerfield, Massachusetts. Students examine their beliefs about land use and ownership, the beaver trade with Europeans, and the consequences of this trade.
- Project images of beaver fur and felt hats, along with their prices
- The first in a series of eight resources focusing on Native American history
- Background information, primary source documents, and images are included in the resource
- Teacher Background Essay
- Native American Legend of the Giant Beaver
- Silhouette of Mt. Sugarloaf range
- Allen Sisters Photograph of Mt. Sugarloaf
- Photos of beavers
- Photograph of 1920's era diorama of Native Village from RS Peabody Museum , Andover, MA
- Bird's Eye View Drawing of Weantinock Homeland
- July 14, 1703 Prices of Goods broadside