This US v. Alvarez activity & project also includes:
Is it illegal to lie about military service? Discuss the ways the First Amendment affects the Stolen Valor Act with a lesson that focuses on the Supreme Court case U.S. v. Alvarez. As high schoolers learn more about the history of the Stolen Valor Act and Xavier Alvarez's conviction for claiming to have received the Congressional Medal of Honor as a US Marine, they analyze the Supreme Court's decision with a mock trial and peer discussion.
- Have learners review the materials before coming to class the next day
- Include in a social studies unit about the Bill of Rights
- Ensure that class members are capable of having a mature discussion about controversial topics
- Links within the resource don't work, but all materials are attached
- Promotes critical thinking and discussion skills
- Includes all necessary materials, including reading passages and reference sheets