This Utopia/Dystopia: The American Dream lesson plan also includes:
America was founded by dreamers, and the American dream still resonates in our country today. Track the American dream from its Puritan beginnings to its optimistic descendants with a instructional activity that focuses on speeches by John F. Kennedy and Ronald Reagan, as well as famous poems and works of art from American history.
- Design a cross-curricular unit between social studies and language arts, and include novels like The Great Gatsby or Raisin in the Sun to augment the materials
- Lesson is designed for gifted learners, but is applicable to mainstream classes as well
- Requires use of video and audio for the speeches
- Well-rounded and applicable to both social studies and language arts curriculum
- Includes links to videos for the speeches and music videos
- Culminates in a project that emphasizes the central theme of the entire lesson