This Valid Equalities? assessment also includes:
True or false: 20 = 10 + 10. The statement is true because two 10s make a 20. These are the types of equations learners must label or false. They must also explain in mathematical terms how they know.
19 Views 5 Downloads CCSS: Designed
- For each equation, instruct learners to write the values of each sides of the equation on top or below the sentences
- Use the task as a warm up before beginning a lesson on comparing numbers or balancing equations. Put learners into pairs and have them solve the equations and come up with a written explanation
- Ensure class members know what makes an equation an equation (=), and everything on the left side of the equal sign should be the same as, or equal to the right side
- Task can be used in a variety of ways, such as an assessment, guided instruction, or skills practice
- Teacher guide includes commentary and an answer key