This Vertebrates II lesson plan also includes:
Mammals of the ocean unite! Or not. The 20th installment of a 23-part NOAA Enrichment in Marine sciences and Oceanography (NEMO) program investigates how warm-blooded marine mammals survive in water. In the class activity, learners use dichotomous keys to separate out marine mammals for the purposes of identification.
- Have learners bring in seafood restaurant menus to research; they should be able to find and print one online if they do not have a hard copy
- It is helpful if learners have previously encountered dichotomous keys
- The resource can be used as a stand-alone lesson or as a continuation of Vertebrates I
- Resources includes an alternate activity that focuses on whales
- Lectures notes provide information for teachers to help guide the lesson