Many people think Cinco de Mayo is the celebration Mexican independence, but they're incorrect. Learn about the battle of Puebla and the victory of General Zaragoza with a short reading passage that includes comprehension and vocabulary questions.
- Include in a homework packet during a study of Mexican history
- Incorporate the key terms into a weekly vocabulary list
- Have learners write a journal entry about their perceptions of the holiday, and reflect back on what they have learned after completing the reading assignment
- Use as an assessment for informational text reading
- Part of a larger unit, but works as a stand-alone assignment
- Promotes the use of context clues when reading
- Questions address a variety of skills