This Wave Machine interactive also includes:
Three main factors determine the wave height experienced in the ocean. Scholars use a virtual simulator to alter wind speed, fetch, and duration. Each combination creates a unique wave measured in significant height.
3 Views 1 Download CCSS: Adaptable
- If possible, visit a museum, college science lab, or another location with a full-scale wave machine
- Come up with a series of challenges (i.e. What combination of the three variables would create a significant height of 4.6 feet?) for pupils to work through
- Relies on prior knowledge of waves, ocean water, and wind speed
- Intuitive controls allow for less instruction and more hands-on time
- Highlights definitions using a tool on the simulator