This Weather Alert activity & project also includes:
Every time a bell rings ... there is lightning in the area. The activity provides directions to build a model of a lightning detection system. Similar to a system designed by Benjamin Franklin, the system uses static electricity to trigger the response. After building and testing the device, the class designs a system that could be used to warn the local community of an approaching storm.
- Have the class research Benjamin Franklin's lightning detection system
- Determine what kind of modifications would allow your model to detect lightning
- You will need a number of materials for the activity such as aluminum cans, dowel rods, copper wire, aluminum foil, and jingle bells
- The activity in a 12-part series
- Pictures provide a reference of what the final design should look like
- The resource provides assessments to conduct throughout the activity