This Wedding Cake Ribbon activity & project also includes:
Customers often want ribbon around fancy cakes, but how does a baker know how much ribbon to buy? Scholars view a cake with multiple layers in different geometric shapes. They must figure the perimeter and circumference and add them together to discover the answer.
- Have students design their own three-layer cake with different shapes and figure the length of a ribbon around it
- Estimate how many people this cake would feed
- Relies on prior knowledge of both perimeter and circumference
- Includes both side and overhead views of the cake
- Lists the correct answer and reasoning for solving and getting other numbers