This Welcome to the Color Vowel Chart lesson plan also includes:
Focus English language learners' attention on word stress and phrase stress with a pronunciation chart that breaks the sounds into moving and non-moving vowel sounds. The chart tool uses colors and key words to indicate where to put the stress within words or between words to change the meaning of that word.
- Have language learners use colored pencils to copy the color vowel chart to keep as a reference in their journals
- Make sure the classroom is rich with pictures and that your word wall is categorized by color for ELLs
- The IPA symbols may be difficult for some learners
- Colored pencils or markers are not required but would be helpful
- Kinesthetic and visual English language learners find the chart enjoyable
- US Department of States Office English Language Programs have adopted the chart to teach American English and provide the resource