After the first American space walk, the hatch would not close on the spacecraft. Engineers later identified the problem as cold welding. An out-of-this-world video shows scholars how this discovery led to many changes in space crafts as well as new methods for nanotechnologies.
- Review the difference between welding and cold welding before watching the video
- Go into more depth with the applications of cold welding for nanotechnology
- Relies on prior knowledge of NASA missions, specifically Gemini IV
- Provides closed captioning in 10 languages for the hearing impaired
- Includes references and audio from the Gemini IV mission
- Requires very little class time