Johannes Diderik van der Waals won the Nobel Prize for physics in 1910. The video, part of the Socratica chemistry playlist, explains what the van der Waals forces are and how they interact based on type. It details dipole interactions as well as dispersion forces and offers the general rules as well as the exceptions.
- Highlight the root words so scholars remember the difference between intermolecular and intramolecular
- Learn more about Johannes Diderik van der Waals, the scientist who studied these forces
- Relies on prior knowledge of ions and charges
- Includes closed captioning in English for the hearing impaired
- Requires very little class time