This What Are the Primaries and Caucuses? lesson plan also includes:
- Government 101: United States Presidential Primary
- Primary Elections Explained
- Primaries and Caucuses: How do the parties choose a candidate?
- Primaries and Caucuses: How do the parties choose a candidate? – Handout Key
- Everything you need to know about how the presidential primary works
- How The Iowa Democratic Caucus Works, Featuring Legos
- The Iowa caucuses explained ... with gummy bears
- Join to access all included materials
What are the essential differences between primaries and caucuses? As part of a study of the process by which Americans select their candidates for US president, class members examine the nominating process, the changes that have occurred in the last 40 years, and the impact these changes have had on the nominating conventions. Be sure to check out the Lego and gummy bear videos that explain the process.
- Have class groups or individuals create their own videos explaining the election process
- A link to each state's website is provided
- The resource includes videos featuring Legos and gummy bears that explain the process, a detailed plan, worksheets, suggestions for extension activities, and links to additional resources