This What Is Area? lesson plan also includes:
What if I can no longer justify area by counting squares? Lead a class discussion to find the area of a rectangular region with irrational side lengths. The class continues on with the idea of lower approximations and upper approximations to estimate the area of curved regions.
- Provide a review of approximating irrational numbers
- Consider using a circle along with the ellipse in the final discussion
- Some learners may have problems understanding the upper and lower bounds
- The first installment of a 14-part series
- The lesson plans provide suggestions for scaffolding
- The exit ticket highlights the main concept of the lesson