Is there really more than one black? Although your crayon box may tell you otherwise, some blacks are, well, blacker than others! Discover the cutting-edge technology at work to produce the blackest black possible with a video from the American Chemical Society's Reactions series. Topics include how our eyes determine colors, uses for super-black coatings, and the blackness of black holes.
- The video works well with lessons on visible light, color, or technology
- Pause the video when it shows samples of the blackest black to allow the class to see the difference between it and ordinary black-colored items
- Try putting a diagram of the electromagnetic spectrum on the board to give pupils some reference during the video
- The content is intriguing and presented in an upbeat manner
- Explanation of how color is perceived is spot-on