Throwing a ball through the air seems simple enough, so why do scientists study the effects of air on a sports ball? Veritasium presents a video in its playlist that explains the Magnus force to help athletes throw curve balls. It describes the many forces acting upon a ball as it travels through the air.
- Recreate the inclined plane demonstration at the beginning of the video to verify the results
- Relies on prior knowledge of air currents and force vectors
- Avoid sharing the comments, as the topic allows for many inappropriate jokes
- Relates science to sports
- Requires very little class time