This What Killed the Seeds? lesson plan also includes:
Can a coral cure cancer? Take seventh and eighth grade science sleuths to the underwater drugstore for an investigation into emerging pharmaceutical research. The fifth installment in a series of six has classmates research the wealth of aquatic organisms that may hold the keys to a healthier human population. Lab groups then conduct an experiment to determine how water quality can help or harm these creatures.
- Guide learners as they create an appropriate data table and discuss what type of graph might best suit the results they collect and analyze
- Set aside class time for groups to observe their bioassays, record observations, and discuss how the experiment models what takes place with organisms in the deep ocean
- Pupils should have prior knowledge of calculating the mean and standard deviation of data sets
- Provide Internet access to working groups for research purposes
- The experiment provides a first-hand look at how water quality impacts organisms
- Provides clearly written student research guide and experimental procedures, the worksheet and answers, plus step-by-step pictures of the lab