This What’s In Your Neighborhood? activity & project also includes:
Chart your way to an understanding of nanoscale. Using a Google map, learners estimate a radius around their location of 1,000 and 1,000,000 meters. Predicting what 1,000,000,000 meters would look like takes them off the charts! Nanoscale is the same concept in reverse—can you visualize what 1/1,000,000,000 of a meter would look like? That's the nanometer!
- Ask groups to create a poster showing the scale of an object in multiples of 10
- Requires preparation of materials in advance
- Expects previous experience with metric conversions
- Includes specific directions for both Mac and PC
- Offers ideas to continue the lesson for those needing further instruction