If there is something in addition to get to the identity, does the same exist for multiplication? Using negative numbers to talk about the identity of addition, the video asks the question whether something similar exists for multiplication. Pupils learn about the reciprocal and find out how to determine it for whole number, fractions, and negative numbers.
- Create a graphic organizer to keep information about identifies and inverses
- Lead a discussion on whether all numbers other than zero have reciprocals—and if so, what they are
- The class should know how to multiply negative numbers
- Links to several related videos
- Includes a recap of the content at the end of the video