Due to the isolation of seamounts, their biodiversity offers a great deal of information on the development of biological and physical processes. Pupils use simple cluster analysis to rate the similarity and differences in biological species at a variety of seamounts. After creating a dendogram, young scientists interpret the results.
- Show examples of completed dendrograms
- Explain the difference between single linkage method and complete linkage method
- Assumes prior knowledge of cluster analysis
- Offers extension ideas to use after the lesson
- Provides cross-curricular connections to math, geography, and earth science