This Why Don't Perpetual Motion Machines Ever Work? video also includes:
It turns out that some laws were definitely not meant to be broken! A short illustrative video explains why the first and second laws of thermodynamics prevent perpetual motion machines from actually moving perpetually — and why scientists are still trying to find a way to make them work.
- Include as a warm-up activity in a physics class when discussing the laws of thermodynamics
- Have learners study or build real-life perpetual motion machines and see if they run into the same problems described in the video
- Best used with some prior knowledge of energy sources
- Takes a complex subject and explains it for learners of all levels
- Employs examples of ways that successful perpetual motion could change modern energy consumption