This Why Is This Painting so Shocking? video also includes:
Guernica stands as a masterpiece of anti-war art. The narrator of a short video examines the images in Picasso's massive, complex, and disturbing painting and offers an explanation of what the images may symbolize.
8 Views 2 Downloads CCSS: Adaptable
- Include the video in a study of the Spanish Civil War, with a reading of Ernest Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, and/or a study of fascism
- Have groups investigate and prepare a presentation of other examples of anti-war art
- Assign difference section of the painting to groups and ask them to identify the images
- The narrator focuses on the images in the painting; he does not directly address the question of why the painting is shocking or the carpet bombing of Guernica that sparked Picasso's outrage
- Provides links to related articles about the painting and about Picasso