This Why Is Vermeer's "Girl with the Pearl Earring" Considered a Masterpiece? instructional video also includes:
Johannes Vermeer's Girl with the Pearl Earring is the subject of a short video that asks viewers to consider why the enigmatic painting has captured the attention of so many. Using other Vermeer works to provide a contrast, the narrator suggests the painting makes a statement about the changes in Dutch society.
- Flip the lesson, asking class members to watch the video, complete the comprehension check, and research some of the links before returning for a full class discussion
- Preview Peter Webber's film to determine if appropriate to your learning situation
- The video presumes that viewers are familiar with the Mona Lisa and the controversies surrounding da Vinci's famous work
- To reshow the video, click the arrow in the right side of the screen
- The resource includes the video, a comprehension check, links to related articles, and a discussion question