This Why Protect Pollinators? video also includes:
Would you rather having biting flies or chocolate? The question may seem absurd, but cocoa trees rely on pollination from biting flies. Viewers come to understand the importance of pollinators to our food supply, flowers, and entire ecosystems such as rain forests after watching the video. Then, they discuss and debate ideas to help save pollinators.
- Challenge students to find a citizen science project to join to help pollinators
- List all of the foods pupils eat in a 24-hour span that wouldn't exist if pollinators didn't exist
- Stands alone as a lesson and does not rely on any information from the larger unit
- 12th lesson in the 13-part unit on Our Hungry Planet
- Links to ideas for hands-on and extended learning opportunities
- Upbeat video helps maintain viewer attention