Papers to grade, parents to call, meetings to attend ... there seems to be no end to stress! What happens to our bodies if we are under too much stress for too long? Examine the facts through an insightful video from the American Chemical Society's Reactions playlist. The narrator discusses the origins of our stress response, the changes in body chemistry that take place under stress, and the perils of not taking that occasional spa day.
- Include the resource in an endocrine system unit for an eye-opening look at the effects of stress
- Launch a broader investigation into the long-term effects of stress after watching the video
- Viewers should have a basic understanding of how the endocrine system works
- The explanations of the body's reaction to stressors is clearly expressed and geared toward pupils in secondary biology classes
- Amusing animations help viewers relate hormones to their glands of origin, as well as the organs they affect