What were the first living things to travel to space? Long before humans went into orbit, scientists sent animals into space to see how space exploration would affect living things. Viewers of an interesting video learn about how animals from simple invertebrates to dogs, monkeys, and apes provided critical information necessary to design and engineer products that would support human life in space.
- Provide context for a discussion or debate about animal testing
- Use to support instruction on the history of space travel and exploration
- The topic of animal experimentation may be disturbing for some students
- Interesting, relevant topic sure to hold interest
- Good connection to scientific experimentation and its effects