This WWII: The Pacific 1939-45 – Iwo Jima interactive also includes:
Of the images that have permeated history to define American courage, perseverance, and patriotism, the 1945 photograph of United States Marines raising the flag at Iwo Jima is one of the most well known. After researching the pivotal moment and its place in World War II, learners pretend to be tour guides at the United States Marine Corps War Memorial and write how they would explain the significance to interested tourists.
- Have pupils work on the interactive assignment at home for a flipped classroom activity
- Set up stations with devices that feature different interactive lessons for the series for class members to rotate through
- Devices should have Internet access and the latest version of Flash®
- The second lesson of three that covers the Pacific in World War II
- Applies both critical thinking and synthesis skills to a social studies lesson
- Provides a variety of primary sources for learners to peruse