This You're My 'Karyo'-Type lesson plan also includes:
What's your type? Genetically speaking, of course! Immerse your class in the world of karyotypes through an insightful activity from the K20 series. Scholars take on the role of genetic counselor to determine the karyotype of offspring from the genes of their parents.
- Enhance the activity by directing partners to a fact-filled website with more information on genetic counseling and screening
- Follow up by assigning a research project on specific genetic disorders for pairs to complete
- Pupils should be comfortable using basic gene structure terms before they begin the activity
- Print Explore Karyotype Cards in color, then laminate them for future use
- Teacher's guide contains all of the video resources and printable materials needed for the lesson
- The opener is impactful and gives learners something to consider as they work their way through the activity