While many can identify Ernest Hemingway's famous works, they may be unaware of his service during World War I and how that affected his literary contributions. An video details Hemingway's service in World War I and explains events and relationships that influenced his work. The video also offers a brief summary of Hemingway's life after his military service.
- Use as a homework assignment/flipped classroom assignment to establish a background on Hemingway
- Ask scholars to compare the biographical information and to works of literature by Hemingway to see how the war may have influenced his work
- Lead a Socractic seminar around themes of art, war, and how personal biography affects fictional works
- Discussion of a potential sexual relationship
- A broader understanding of World War I is beneficial
- Makes comparisons between literature and historical events
- Intriguing images stimulate individuals' historical imaginations