This Activity to Show Sample Population and Bias activity & project also includes:
There is bias in many aspects of our lives, and math is no exception! Learners explore provided data to understand the meaning of biased and random samples. The resource includes various data sets from the same population, and individuals use them to answer questions and make conclusions.
- Begin the lesson with a discussion of the vocabulary of population: sample population, bias, and random
- Use the data from the random sample to make a prediction about the entire population, and compare the predictions to the provided data
- Requires graph paper for pupils
- Presents data that leads to the appropriate conclusions about the new vocabulary
- Does not include answer keys or a teacher guide