This Analyzing a Photograph of a Young American Indian interactive also includes:
A true glimpse of the past, Angelic La Moose smiles back from more than 100 years ago. Young learners examine the picture of a young girl on a Montana Native American reservation from 1913 to comb it for historical details. A form, which is emailed to the teacher, helps class members weigh what historical evidence they glean from the image.
- Use the photograph activity to introduce a lesson on Native Americans
- Offer the photograph to discuss the lives of children in various historical periods
- Pupils may need background information on Native Americans to interpret the image
- Scaffolded questions help younger learners build primary source skills
- Image is engaging and offers many details for analysis
- Teacher may need to research additional background information, as not much is included with the activity