This Are Atoms Invisible? activities & project also includes:
Wow, an experiment that allows the class to participate in a missile war! Pupils discuss Thomsons's theory of cathode rays and simulate Rutherford's historical experiment to learn about atomic structure. They conclude this fourth lesson by creating missiles and demonstrating their knowledge in a competition among peers.
- Discuss how magnets are used in the diagnosis of diseases
- Do not place a magnet directly on the computer screen or TV monitor because this could result in damage
- Ensure no student is hit with a flying "missile" and conduct this activity in an area where they may fly freely
- Materials are easily found and may be recycled for use each year
- Ability to relate historical material to present-day scenarios as well as discuss emerging techniques
- Document permissions do not allow for printing