This Ascent: 50 Seconds to MECO lesson plan also includes:
All systems go! With a video and a Google Earth tour as background, pairs investigate two graphs. The graphs display acceleration vs. time and velocity vs. time of a space shuttle launch. Using graphing calculators, the pairs take a closer look at the 50 seconds prior to main engine cutoff. They compare the data from the graphs to data they generate using the Google Earth tour.
- Work with the class to interpret less complex graphs prior to the lesson
- Discuss the relationship between acceleration and velocity
- Ascent-Trajectory Tour file requires Google Earth to run
- Uses real data of a space shuttle launch
- The activity provides opportunitities to access the information in multiple representations: graph, table, and equation
- Worksheet does not provide independent practice