This Biomes in Action unit also includes:
A STEM project-based learning lesson, number four in a series of 10, focuses on human impacts to biomes around the world. Groups work together as environmentalists to research a specific biome, investigating human impacts on it. From there, they formulate a solution to human encroachment and present their findings to the class as a multimedia presentation.
- Have groups also research positive impacts humans have had on ecosystems and present those as well
- There is a certain amount of freedom in PBLs; be sure to share the unit rubric so groups can see what they are responsible for learning/presenting
- Assumes groups have an understanding of food webs, symbiotic relationships, energy flow, and feeding levels of organisms within an ecosystem
- Lesson provides an assessment timeline, which shows numerous ways to assess learning
- Technology is extensively used throughout the project which engages learners