This Breaking the Food Chain worksheet also includes:
- Informational Text
- Join to access all included materials
Throughout history, the growth of big cities has resulted in the destruction of ecosystems. In the case of Chicago, IL, a grassland that was once home to bison, deer, wolves, and foxes quickly became a booming city of over three million people. After reading about this dramatic change, learners identify the main idea and supporting details of the text. Take the activity one step further by asking learners to write brief summaries of the reading passage.
- Clearly explains the impact of city growth on neighboring ecosystems
- Includes statistics that demonstrate the explosive growth of Chicago at the turn of the 20th century
- Offers cross-curricular connections between science, social studies, and language arts
- Statistics that show the impact of urban growth on native species are not included