President Barack Obama set aside March 31st to recognize the efforts of Cesar Chavez to improve the conditions of migrant workers in the United States. A short video provides a brief biography of Chavez and his approach to labor organization.
- Have class members research the history of the United Farm Workers and their non-violent protests
- Include in a study of other labor and civil rights activists
- Ask learners to investigate the path of produce from farms to their local market
- Registration for a free PBS LearningMedia account is required to access worksheets and other support materials
- Provides a brief overview of Chavez's efforts